Everybody desires to maintain cool throughout the summer time, which is why most owners have air con methods of their houses. However working these AC models may be pricey – an estimated 12% of the typical house’s power consumption in america goes proper to air con.
Once we run our air conditioners, we’re not solely spending some huge cash, we’re utilizing loads of power. In actual fact, air con causes 117 million metric tons of carbon dioxide to be launched into the ambiance every year. So, as we’re attempting to maintain ourselves cool, we’re contributing to the very factor that makes every summer time hotter- local weather change.
Fortunately, there’s a solution to keep cool that means that you can reduce down on each your power prices and your carbon footprint, and that’s photo voltaic air con. On this weblog, we’ll check out what solar-powered air con choices can be found, and what type is best for you.
What’s photo voltaic air con?
There are two totally different solar-powered air con choices, each of which work otherwise.
- Photo voltaic PV air conditioners
- Photo voltaic thermal air conditioners
Photo voltaic photovoltaic (PV) air conditioners
Photo voltaic PV air conditioners work the identical as conventional break up air con methods. As a substitute of powering the system with power from the grid, the unit is powered with photo voltaic power produced by photo voltaic panels. The variety of photo voltaic panels you want varies relying on the scale of the system. Normally, they’ll include between two and 6 photo voltaic panels.
These methods may be paired with solar batteries as well, so extra energy produced by the solar panels can be used later, when the sun goes down. When paired with a battery, these systems are referred to as “solar hybrid air conditioners”.
Solar thermal air conditioners
Solar thermal air conditioners use solar collectors to heat a liquid, like water, that then passes through the system and evaporates. The evaporation and condensation of the water in the system produces cool air for your home.
How much does solar air conditioning cost?
Solar-powered air conditioners are substantially more expensive than a conventional air conditioning unit, coming in at about $2,000 before installation costs.
Installation costs can bring the cost up to around $5,000. Some popular solar air conditioners on the market include:
- SolarAir World’s 100% Off-Grid Photo voltaic Air Conditioner sells for round $1,700 earlier than set up and is nice for off-grid functions, because it doesn’t require any grid energy. Nonetheless, it does depend on batteries. Each the outside unit and indoor unit run on DC energy.
- GREE’s photo voltaic air con hybrid system prices about $1,800 earlier than set up. It’s a DC-inverter air conditioner, so it doesn’t want a separate inverter for AC energy. It might run utilizing two photo voltaic panels.
- HotSpot Energy’s hybrid mini-split warmth pump cooling system can present off-grid photo voltaic AC all through the day. It’s ductless, so you’ll be able to have air con immediately within the area you wish to be cooled. It will also be linked to grid energy or battery energy for steady use, even when the photo voltaic panels aren’t producing electrical energy. It prices about $1,800 earlier than set up.
The excellent news is, your photo voltaic air con set up may qualify for the 26% federal tax credit score, which considerably brings down the fee. You may additionally qualify for some state and native power effectivity incentives which are accessible in your space. Consulting with an area installer provides you with a greater understanding of what rebates can be found to you.
Is photo voltaic air con price it?
The reply to that is each sure and no.
Putting in photo voltaic air con together with your present HVAC system will prevent cash in your power payments, nonetheless, you’ll virtually at all times get extra bang on your buck when you set up a residential photo voltaic panel system that’s designed to additionally cowl your cooling prices.
Let’s break this down:
Let’s say the Smith household spends about $1,400 per 12 months on electrical energy, which is in regards to the US common for power payments. Of that, $170 is attributed to air con.
If the Smiths determined to put in a photo voltaic air conditioner that prices $3,700 after the federal tax credit score, it might take about 21 years to pay again the system. In different phrases, it might take 21 years for the Smiths to save lots of as a lot as they spent on their photo voltaic air conditioner, assuming that it covers all of their cooling prices.
Now, if the Smiths as a substitute determined to put in a photo voltaic panel system that prices someplace round $14,000, which is the average cost for a solar system in the US after the tax credit, their solar payback period would only be 10 years. That means it would only take 10 years for the Smith’s solar panel system to save them as much as they spent on the system. And this system covers their cooling costs too!
The payback period for a solar panel system is much shorter than the payback period for a solar air conditioner. And once you reach your solar payback period, you’ll get free energy to power your home for the remaining lifespan of the system! Find out the solar payback for your specific home with our solar calculator.
Are there any cases where a solar air conditioner is a good choice?
There are some scenarios where installing a solar air conditioner might work for you. One of these cases is if there is limited roof space.
If you don’t have space to install a full residential solar panel system, a solar air conditioner is a great way to still take advantage of renewable energy, decrease your power consumption, and see energy savings on your utility bill.
When people have off-grid homes, they may want to consider having a separate solar air conditioning system. This way, off-grid homes can still enjoy the comfort of air conditioning, even without grid power.
You should contact a local HVAC company to install a solar cooling system to ensure it is properly installed and that the refrigerant is properly handled. However, in most cases, a residential solar PV installation is going to be a better long-term investment.
- Solar PV air conditioners work like regular split air conditioning systems – but they are powered by energy produced by solar panels.
- Solar thermal air conditioners use solar collectors that heat a liquid that then passes through the system and evaporates and condenses, which creates cool air.
- Unless you have limited roofing space, it’s almost always a better investment to install a full solar panel system that can power your entire home – not just your air conditioner.